Living Near the River – Am I at Risk of Mold Infestation?
Mold infestation is the result of untreated water damage in houses. This water damage could be due to leaking pipes, humid bathrooms, faulty appliances, or even living close to the shore or river can cause mold. It is not uncommon to face mold damage if you live close to a water body. The air in such areas has moisture, and this is what acts as food for the mold.
This article will talk about the risks of living close to rivers, the reasons that cause mold growth, their effects on health, and how to treat mold damage.
Does Living by the River Increase Mold Growth?
Living by the river or any water has its perks; gorgeous views, fun with friends and family, boating, and more. However, with this comes the problem of mold and water damage. Living in such an area means the humidity in the air is naturally high.
Humidity is the amount of moisture and water vapor in the air. Staying in a humid area means mold damage is a recurring problem in your house. With moisture, mold needs warmth, mold spore, oxygen, darkness, a food source, and around 24 to 48 hours to grow given the right conditions.
Mold spores can easily travel into your home through your clothes or open windows. It starts to grow once it finds a food source and the right conditions. Mold uses furniture wood, wall corners, grout as its food source so if you smell something musty, look for mold in the basement, between your bathroom tiles, or behind furniture.
Mold can easily spread and start growing in your HVAC system, which is when it becomes a huge problem. Living on or by the water already places your home at a greater risk for mold growth due to the naturally high humidity level.
You should not handle mold damage on your own; reach out to a reputable restoration and clean-up company in your area to help you out. 911 Restoration has the expertise and the latest equipment to clean up mold damage in houses and protect you and your family from allergies and other health problems due to mold.
How Does Mold Affect My Family?
Mold damage in houses can cause a range of health problems. Other than allergic reactions such as itching eyes, sneezing, and coughing, it can also cause severe reactions such as trigger asthma attacks; and even permanent lung damage.
People who already have a weak immune system and other respiratory diseases are more likely to develop allergic reactions. That is why it is important to wear masks and follow precautions when coming in contact with mold-damaged areas.
Children and old-aged people are more prone to developing health problems when exposed to mold spores. Keep them away from such areas, and if allergy symptoms occur, then visit a doctor immediately.
How Do I Tell If I Have Mold in My Home?
Mold is airborne, and once it starts spreading, you can visibly see it on your counters, window sills, bathtubs, walls, vents, etc. If you smell something musty but do not see mold, then look for signs of moisture in your home. Basements, damp walls, and bathrooms are common areas where mold grows.
Another sign that mold is present in your home is observing and listening to your body and its health. If you have recently found yourself or a family member sneezing, coughing, and wheezing without any obvious reason, then you can suspect mold to be the potential cause.
How Can I Prevent Mold in My House?
The key to preventing mold growth is keeping the area dry and ventilated. Here is how you can keep the moisture and mold out.
1. Keep Doors and Windows Open
To keep your rooms dry, it is important to keep doors and windows open for ventilation. After taking a shower, or if you feel humidity levels are high in any room, leave the door and windows open for at least 15 minutes so all the humidity can leave instead of condensing on walls and tiles. Ventilate all areas, including the laundry room and basement, as often as possible.
2. Spray Mold-Prohibiting Solution
To prevent mold formation, spray your tiles, walls, and areas prone to mold with a mold-prohibiting solution at least once a week. You can even make this at home by mixing equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. This solution will protect your bathrooms, kitchens, and basements against fungi.
What Can I Do to Protect My Family and Home from Mold?
If the mold damage is excessive, in that case, your best option is to use professional mold removal services in Central Mississippi. The experienced 911 Restoration will use advanced equipment, appropriate cleaning materials, and efficient cleaning techniques to remove the mold before it spreads further and causes costly damage to your home. Call us now at (601) 501-6119!